- Vermicelli (I use Bambino or MTR)
- Mustard seeds
- Urad dal
- Channa dal
- Turmeric powder
- Coriander leaves
- Ghee (Can also use any vegetable oil)
- Soak the channa dal in some water. This will ensure that the dal is not hard to chew.
- In a frying pan, add some ghee and roast the vermicelli until it turns golden brown. Please note that the vermicelli can roast really fast, so please be careful not to burn it.
- Remove the fried vermicelli from the pan and add some more ghee. When the ghee is warm, add some mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal. The mustard seeds will splutter and the dals will turn golden brown.
- Add some turmeric to the above mixture.
- Add water to the pan. I use a 1:3 ratio for vermicelli and water. So for 1 cup of vermicelli, I will add 3 cups (use same measuring cup) of water. Also add salt to the water. Allow the water to boil. You can check the salt by tasting the water before adding further ingredients.
- To the boiling water, add the roasted vermicelli and stir.
- Add some coriander leaves to the pan. And mix well.
- The water will start evaporating from the pan and keep stirring till you get required consistency.
- Voila! The vermicelli upma is ready. Bon appetit!